Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The Bourne Identity

Yesterday was a pretty lazy day for me, and I ended up watching The Bourne Identity. I really enjoy this film. I think Matt Damon (Ocean's 11 & 12; Good Will Hunting) does an excellent job in this film. He plays a man with amnesia who is found floating in the ocean. He soon discovers that he has abilities that normal people don't have. Also, he is being hunted down to be killed. He finds clues as to who he is while trying to stay alive, but doesn't have enough to figure it out.

I also feel that Franka Potente (Run Lola Run, The Princess and the Warrior) does an excellent job as well. She plays an innocent citizen who's hard up for money. Damon asks her for a ride to Paris for $20,000 toward the beginning of the movie, and she agrees to help him. If she only knew what that decision was going to get her involved in. I don't want to say too much more or I may end up ruining the film for you.

If you want to sit down and watch an edge of your seat action film, then this one will suit you just fine. I feel that it easily keeps you interested, and you start to put Damon's identity together along with him. It almosts makes you feel like you're in his shoes. How much fun would that be? Onto the review catagories.

Visuals: I give it a 4. This is based on the fact that there is some excellent cinematography. There really aren't many visual effects in the movie, and when there are, you don't go "Oh that's an effect." While I was watching the commentary, Doug Liman (director) (Go, Swingers) points out some moments where there are visual effects, and they're so subtle I would've NEVER realized it while watching the movie. That's a true sign of well done visual effects.

Sound: I give this a 4.5. The musical score to this film is nicely done. It's not like Liman's other films where there's a bunch of techno thrown into the movie. Another reason this is such a high score is from what I found out during the commentary as well. Liman and his sound advisor sat with the musician for 6 hour sessions just to pick out what music would work best where. Also the fact that it sounds GREAT in 5.1 surround, as far as sound effects go.

Story: I give this a 4.5 as well. This film is based on the well-known novel by Robert Ludlum, but Liman took some liberties with it. In my opinion, they are good ones. For those familiar with the novel, you should be able to know where these liberties take place. For those of you not familiar with it, you can find out some of them by listening to the commentary.

Special Features: Oh yes, special features. I give them a 3. I do NOT own the "explosive extended edition" so this score is based on the "plain jane" version of the dvd. There aren't a LOT of features that are good, but the ones that are make up for the ones that aren't. There are quite a few features on the disc. The features I enjoyed were:

  • The Birth of Bourne - 15 minute documentary on how the movie's idea started
  • Moby "Extreme Ways" Music Video - a pretty cool music video (as far as movie music videos go)
  • Feature Commentary with Director Doug Liman - this is very interesting and informative. Liman seems to be a very down to earth kinda guy.
  • Production Notes - there's some really cool behind the scenes info. to be read in here

Entertainment Value: Overall, I give this dvd a 4. I really like the movie. The special features could be better. Should you buy it? If you're an action movie fan, YES. If you can get it for $15, yes. If both of these apply, then definitely yes. If you're leary on my opinions, then RENT it for sure. While you're at it, you could get The Bourne Supremacy as well, and see the whole story up to this point. Also, in case you're wondering, the third film The Bourne Ultimatum, has been announced too.

3 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://gvsozbmu.com/bnia/iosa.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://lxccjhsb.com/xzhz/okci.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://gvsozbmu.com/bnia/iosa.html | http://jzwhxmnb.com/dvyl/dufu.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home