Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Spanglish

The second film my wife and I watched was Spanglish. It's about a hispanic woman Flor (Paz Vega) and her daughter Christina. They move from Mexico to LA. Flor works two jobs, but as Christina matures Flor realizes that she needs to quit her night job to make sure her daughter stays out of trouble. The job she finds is as a housekeeper for the Clasky family. At first there's misunderstandings because of the language barrier between Flor and the Clasky's. As Flor gets more involved with the Clasky's, she decides to learn the english language.

Visuals: I give this a 2.5. It's very average as far as visuals go. There aren't any moments of wonderful cinematography that stand out in my mind. There are no crazy special effects. It's just a normal feeling movie. Nothing extraordinaire about the visuals.

Sound: Only a 3 here. There are no incredible things about the sound of this movie either. There's music in the background when there should be, there's silence when it's appropriate. Just as with the visuals, nothing special here.

Story: I give the story a 3.5. I really liked how it flowed in the beginning of the film, but as it got into the middle it tended to drag a bit. I also enjoyed the overall feel of the film at the beginning, but not as much as it went on. I should also note that there are some great moments of comedy as well. I especially like the scene with Christina confronting John Clasky (Adam Sandler) about the deal for the glass. You'll have to watch it to see what I mean.

Special Features: I wasn't able to watch any of the bonus material for Spanglish, so I can't give a rating here. If you wish to see a full list of special features, visit the official website.

Entertainment Value: Well, overall I say 3. It's just an average romantic comedy, if you ask me. Nothing special about it. Will I buy it? Even though I'm an Adam Sandler fan, I have to say no. I most likely will not buy this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home